Today we went straight into filming some last bits needed for our film, I learnt how different camera angles were more effective than it all being the same angle in the shot. We also both learnt how to do tracking shots ( this is when you are moving with the subject ). We thought we were going to be lucky with the weather but then it started raining so we vacated into a café to let the equipment dry. After getting all the extra footage we needed we went back and stated to do the final editing. Although the day sounds boring it wasn't because we were able to have fun between working ( if you call running down sand dunes working ) .
Day 3 - On this day we went to Instow primary school and helped the children learn how to use the equipment needed to make a film. This was kinda hard because we had only learnt this ourself in the morning so we did mess up a few times. We thought the day was fun as it was nice to have a break from doing our project. When we arrived at the school the first thing Amanda did was explain what they were going to do. After that the children got to choose (what roles they wanted to be eg. Director. Once everyone had a role Me and Katia took a group each and explained ( as best as we could ) what each role needed to do along with the how to set up / use the equipment they needed for their role.
Today was a more relaxed day, though we sill had loads to do. We spent the day planning ideas for our video this included using a green screen, which was very exciting because we had never used one before. The day was very helpful even though we didn't film any final footage because it help us figure out what ideas were not achievable and what was , this led to us having a really good final idea. In the afternoon we created a storyboard so we know what we are exactly doing when we come to put it all together.Today we learnt that copy rights was really important and how you couldn't use a picture from Google as your backdrop for the green screen as it doesn't belong to you, this effected the ideas we had.
By Harriet & Katia
Today was are first day, we met at 10:00 am and Amanda explained what we were going to do for the rest of the week .We got told our film needs to be about 'Littering' and promoting 'team up to clean up' . At 11:00 am we had a meeting with Helen Morse and Rodney Cann who gave us some important facts and information for our video .It was interesting to hear how much littering is a problem in the UK . After lunch we went to the beach and filmed some lovely shots of the scenery and also of us talking about littering. We thought it was really fun experiencing how to use a high quality video camera and especially enjoyed the looks we got while filming on the beach. While on our way back we saw a sheep who was trying to jump free but its back leg got caught on the gate so Amanda jumped in to save the day and helped the sheep free. When we got back we looked at the videos we had took and started to think of ideas on how we could make our film . Overall the first day went really well and Amanda made us feel really included and confident .
By Harriet Larter and Katia Ramirez
Today we met at 10:30 at the Queen's Theatre in Barnstaple. We were assigned the 'Function room' as our base of operations for the day. To start with, we took some different shots from outside the theatre, before heading back to the function room to prepare for the arrival of the volunteers. We filmed as they filled envelopes with their new programme, managing to get close up shots, panoramic shots and many others to capture the event. One of the problems we encountered was that some of the volunteers wished not to be filmed, restricting how much we were able to film. Once the volunteers' jobs were completed, we were able to interview the development manager, Jo, and two volunteer stewards, Mary- Anne and John. After successfully interviewing each member- we stopped for lunch in the Gallery Cafe. After lunch, we met the director of NDTT, Alan Dodd. He gave us an informative interview on what goes on across the two theatres. We then made our way around the theatre, looking for different shots that would fit in our film; getting stills as well as videos. After collecting as many shots as we could, we finished for the day.
By Grace and Curtis.
Today we were planning for tomorrow, for the most part we were creating the production plan and that included the equipment we needed, plans for the shots we were going to get and and time schedule and other things. As one half was starting on that, the other half were editing and uploading the work from yesterday. After we completed and typed up the production plan we tested all of the equipment for tomorrow which mainly consisted of the audio devices.
On Tuesday we did more research and found pictures (that were OK to use and weren't infringing copyright) that could go in a video about north Devon theater trust. After that we put together a short storyboard and tried to make a script which had to be changed a lot. We then used the photos we found online and made them into a short film which we could then use as a green screen when we started filming. We started filming in the hope that we could do it in one continuous take but after many attempts we were not able to do it. We then gave up on the idea and the slideshow we had made as the green screen was not used and instead we just changed the photo for every cut. We also came up with the idea of creating a auto-Que with the iPad. We spent the rest of the day trying to find inventive ways to enter and deliver the facts and we got all the shots we needed to be able to edit it tomorrow.
NDMI Work Experience Blog
NDMI offers work experience to young people in North Devon. Follow this blog to find out what they get up to.